Henry and Rena Bolt arrived in Holland in 1846. They then walked from Holland to Grand
Haven to make their home, and settled in a house at 1028 Washington. A 20 acre farm of fruit
trees, vegetables, and a cow pasture extended from Washington south to Grant. Bolt was the
City’s first Street Commissioner, a position he took up in 1867.
The property that would eventually become Bolt Park was first given to the City by Henry Bolt
for use by the Fourth Ward School, built in 1882. A second school (today’s Ferry school), built
in 1913, replaced the original Fourth Ward School.
Otto Glueck purchased the vacated school for use as a home in 1916, and then moved it
across the street to 1514 Pennoyer. The vacated lot would eventually become today’s Bolt
Park, named after the original owner of the property.
Source: In the Path of Destiny by David Seibold
BOLT PARK MARKET
In recent years Bolt Park has been the place for the Eastown Market