Help keep the Grand Haven Area beautiful for generations to come
We are committed to keeping the Grand Haven Area beautiful and as a visitor you can help us achieve our goal. Our sustainable tourism effort is focused on preserving and protecting our natural beauty while encouraging the growth of the tourism industry.
Sustainable tourism is about re-focusing and adapting. A balance must be found between limits and usage so that continuous changing, monitoring and planning ensure that tourism can be managed. This requires thinking long-term (10, 20+ years) and realizing that change is often cumulative, gradual and irreversible. Economic, social and environmental aspects of sustainable development must include the interests of all stakeholders including local communities, visitors, industry and government.
Sustaining Tourism-Traveling Towards A Global Sustainable Future
Beaches & Sand Dunes
· Use eco-friendly sunscreen and lotions
· Fill in sand castles and holes on the beach when finished
· Keep you and your pets off the dunes
· No fires on the beach
Wildlife & Endangered Species
· Do not feed the gulls, ducks or wild animals
· Do not get between young birds and the dunes; as to not separated from their parents
Recreational Equipment- Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers
· Remove any visible mud, plants, fish or animals before transporting your recreational equipment.
· Eliminate water from equipment before transporting
· Clean and dry anything that comes into contact with the water
(boats, trailers, equipment, clothing, dogs, etc.)
· Never release plants, fish or animals into a body of water unless they came out of that body of water
· Recycle your fishing line – do not throw it in the trash. A recycle container is located on the pier
· A Michigan fishing license is required to fish or net in the Grand Haven Area. Youth under the age of 17 are not required to be licensed.
· Keep pets on a leash
· Clean up after your pet. Pet waste receptacles are located at the beach in the dog friendly area as well as throughout town.
· Obey posted speed limits
· Park in designated areas only
Trash & Litter
· Do not litter
· Please use the nearest recycle container
· No glass is allowed on the beach or boardwalk
Thank you for helping to preserve our destination for the future enjoyment of others!